THE NATIONAL MARK OF MALAYSIAN BRAND
SME Corporation Malaysia, in collaboration with SIRIM QAS International Sdn. Bhd. has developed the National Mark of MALAYSIAN BRAND certification programme that promotes the development of Malaysian brands to meet global quality standards. The certification programme is an effort to assist Malaysian brand owners to increase their market reach and compete on a global platform.
Organizations that participate in the programme and successfully fulfil all the required criteria will be awarded the right to use the National Mark of MALAYSIAN BRAND on their product packaging and in all their marketing communications efforts. Their brands will directly benefit from the association they will be making with the National Mark of MALAYSIAN BRANDS that represents the highest in standards of Quality, Excellence and Distinction.
Through this association, more Malaysian brands will have the opportunity to build brand equity and to dispel the perception of being of inferior quality. The National Mark of MALAYSIAN BRAND carries with it the endorsement of quality from the Malaysian Government, through SME Corporation Malaysia and its partners behind the certification programme.
Among the prerequisites for participating in the certification programme, organizations must first achieve a minimum of 3-Star rating under SME Corp’s SCORE rating programme and must have in place an existing quality standards programme such as ISO9000. In order for organizations to successfully acquire the rights to display the Mark, they must submit to a series of evaluations and audit, where their strict adherence to quality standards and criteria will be put to the test.
Through this effort, the Malaysian Government hopes to provide Malaysian Brands with some assistance to grow, penetrate international markets and become competitive on a global platform. Other than the opportunity to build brand equity through its association with a mark of quality, the National Mark of MALAYSIAN BRAND awardees will receive a number of other benefits including trade promotional activities and assistance in terms of expertise.
There are several pre-requisites for companies to apply for certification under the National Mark of MALAYSIAN BRAND scheme. The pre-requisites may differ according to the company and the nature of business.
1. The Business must have achieved a minimum 3-STAR rating under SME Corp.’s SCORE programme which is still valid
2. Must have an international standards certification such as:
- For companies in any sector with Certified ISO 9001 or equivalent
- For companies in the Food Sector with HACCP or ISO 22000
- For companies in the Automotive Supply Chain with ISO/TS16949
- For companies in the Medical Device Sector with ISO 13485
3. Business incorporated/registered under the following:
- Companies Act 1965 (Act 125)
- Registration of Business Act 1965 (Act 197) or
- Certificate(s) of Practice from Professional Bodies.
4. Malaysian equity > 60%
5. The Business must be operating from legal premises
6. The company must own a registered brand
7. The company must have a good business performance (covering all aspects such as sales, profit & cash flow) for 3 consecutive years.
8. The company must portray a Malaysian identity that represents company name, brand name and/or brand logo in which company must represent the Malaysian elements/identity/ cultures and not seen to be promoting products/services from other countries.
- Obtain incentives from the SME Corp. Malaysia for qualifying SMEs only.
- Gain access to ongoing local and international trade promotion activities as well as advertising and promotion activities by the MATRADE.
- Enjoy special access passes to MICCI-SME Corp. Malaysia mentoring programmes.
- Obtain invitations to specific training opportunities organized by the SME Corp. Malaysia and its partners.
- Receive privileged media coverage.
- Submit Questionnaire
- Submit Application
- Stage 1 Audit
- Stage 2 Audit
- Issuance of Certificate
- Renewal Assessment