About Energy Efficiency Testing Services
An escalating cost of electricity bills and greenhouse gas emissions from the use of electrical equipment and appliances have raised and eyebrow around the globe. Realizing the importance to support the environment, the energy efficiency products or appliances become more favourable because less energy consumption but with the same level of energy service, function and performance.
Under the Energy Efficiency and Energy Labelling program by the Energy Commission (ST), each product is based on the Star Rating that determines its compliance for Energy Efficiency. This program is an initiative by the Malaysia government to stimulate the sales of energy efficient domestic household appliances.
On 3rd May 2014, ST has enforced the Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) together with the Electricity Regulations, 1994 (Amendment 2012) for air-conditioners, refrigerators, TVs, fans and lamps. The appliances shall meet ST’s MEPS requirement with a STAR rating of at least 2 before they can be sold in the country.
Our Electrical and Electronics Testing Section offer the most fully equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to perform tests on products to meet the Energy Efficiency test requirements in accordance with;
- MS 2576:2014 Minimum Energy performance Standard (MEPS) for televisions
- MS 2597:2014 Minimum Energy performance Standard (MEPS) for air conditioners
- MS 2598:2014 Minimum Energy performance Standard (MEPS) for lamps
- MS 2575:2014 Minimum Energy performance Standard (MEPS) for refrigerators
- MS 2574:2014 Minimum Energy performance Standard (MEPS) for domestic fans
- MS 1220 – Performance and construction of electric circulating fans and regulators
- MS IEC 62552 – Household Refrigerating Appliances Characteristics and Test Methods
- MS ISO 5151 – Non-ducted air conditioners and heat pumps : Testing and rating for performance
- IEC 62087 – Methods of Measurement for the Power Consumption of Audio, Video and Related Equipment, and MS IEC 62301: Household Electrical Appliances Measurement of Standby Power (Mode) for Television
- MS IEC 60969 (Self-ballasted lamps for general lighting services Performance requirements) for fluorescent lamps.
- IEC 62612 – Self-ballasted LED lamps for general lighting services Performance Requirements
- MS IEC 6008 – T5 and T8 Double Capped Fluorescent Lamp
- MS IEC 60969 Self-ballasted lamps for general lighting services – Performance requirements for Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL)
- MS IEC 60901 – Non Integrated lamps for Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL)
- LM 79 – IESNA Approved Method for the electrical photometric measurement of solid state lighting products for LED lights
- CIE 121 The Photometry and Goniophotometry of Luminaires
- IEC 62722-2-1 LED Luminaire- Performance Requirement
Benefits of Energy Efficiency Testing Services
- Provides an independent verification of product compliance with Energy Efficiency standards and regulations.
- Provides an independent assurance that tests are done in accordance with stated specifications and test methods.
- Enhance customers acceptance and confidence on the quality, realibility and safety on the products.
- Minimises the risk for manufacturers or suppliers in producing or supplying a faulty product not complying with Energy Efficiency standards or requirements.
Why SIRIM QAS International?
- SIRIM QAS International the leading certification, inspection and testing body in Malaysia, has been entrusted by the government.
- Appointed by ST as a testing house to provide testing services for identified electrical appliances under its Energy Efficiency and Energy Labelling program.